January 6, 1883
On January 6, 1883, Lucy Craft Laney (shown right) opened the first school for black children in Augusta, Georgia. Supported by the Christ Presbyterian Church (USA), the school started with six students in the basement of the church then located at 10 and Telfair Street. In 1885, the first class was graduated. At that time, the school had grown to 234 students. Thye school was later expanded and renamed the Haines Normal School in honor of financial benefactor Mrs. Francine E. H. Haines, President of the Woman's Department of the Presbyterian Church (USA).